Re: UP flat car

Richard Hendrickson

On Jun 20, 2008, at 10:36 AM, Garth G. Groff wrote:
Absolutely, a UP subsidiary! I'm not a UP maven, but I was told
that in
later years (like the 1950s) the only St.J&GI-marked car was a wooden
caboose. Do you have any idea when the St.J&GI revenue equipment
disappeared from the ORERs? For that matter, when did the UP reletter
the cars from their other subsidiaries?

In the mid-to-late 1940s, the UP's ORER entries listed two 34'
St.J&GI box cars. They were gone by 1950.

According to the late Terry Metcalfe's landmark UP freight car book,
the initials of subsidiaries OSL, OWR&N, and LA&SL were used as
reporting marks until March, 1958. On cars painted or repainted
after that date, the reporting marks became UP but the initials of
the subsidiary lines were stenciled in 4" characters at the upper
left corner of the sides.

Richard Hendrickson