Re: UP flat car

Tim O'Connor

Some late "Be Specific" box cars (1956-1957) received UP
reporting marks, while their ownership by OSL or OWR&N was
indicated by a stencil in the upper left hand corner on the
car side. Most (if not all) of the cars so lettered were
never repainted or relettered. I have a 1994 shot of a
company service box with the OSL stencil in the corner.

Tim O'Connor

The changeover was begun in March, 1958, but of course there were
many cars in service at that time with OWR&N, OSL, and LA&SL
reporting marks, and those cars lasted (in diminishing numbers) for
many years after that until they were repainted and re-stenciled.
I'm not aware that the UP ever had a program to paint out the
subsidiary lines' reporting marks and replace them with UP and the 4"
stenciling on cars that did not require repainting.
Richard Hendrickson