From: Rob Kirkham
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 8:23 AM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] GN1152 - type 11 tank car

Hi Rich,

You've made a rivet counter out of me this evening..... (Nah! I was already
a rivet counter - Go Archer!). I was counting the double rivet row along
the horizontal seem on the GN tank - and to make it easy counted just the
top row of rivets for the first (nearest) course - numbering 26 I think.
That took me to Ed Kaminski's "Tank Cars" where I stumbled across GN295589 -
a 12000 gallon car - see p.86. Too dark an image to count rivets however.
But SP49107 on p.93 - also 12000 gallons - does show the rivets well - and I
count 26 there as well (assuming two largely hidden by the tank band).

So assuming the rivet spacing is a fairly predictable basis for estimating
the length of comparable design and vintage tank cars, I don't think a case
can be sustained that the GN car in the E-bay photo was too long to be AC&F.
But I'd be happy to give it another thought if I'm missing something here.

Rob Kirkham