Re: paper density

Malcolm Laughlin <mlaughlinnyc@...>

Thanks Don and Russ for the input. From their density information and other stuff that I've found, it looks like 50 tons of paper would reuquire a box car of about 5555 cubic feet - much more than any car of the 50's. Can someone tell me what were the typical inside dimensions of 40 ft' box cars of that period.

Also what are typical heights and diameters of paper rolls. Would around 3'3" diameter and four foot height be in the ball park. For 50#/cu ft paper in rolls 3'4" in diameter in a 10 by 40 ID car, (30 rolls) it would take 63" high rolls to get 50 tons in a car. But that assumes the rolls are exactly the right size to be loaded the full width and length of the car. That four foot roll would allow only 38 tons in a car.

As for pulp, given a floor area of 400 ft. and a low density pulp at 25#, 50 tons would be only five feet high.

This leads me to the conclusion that if we assume a 1:1 tonnage ratio of paper to pulp, we're sure to need more cars outbound than inbound, perhaps a 5:4 ratio.

I'm going to assume that we're shipping kraft paper in rolls that can tolerate the same grade of car as the inbound pulp. After making an allowance for interior damage, bad orders, imbalance of input an out put, etc., I'm going to assume I can reload 75 % of the inbound cars.

So for each ten carloads of paper shipped, I'll have eight carloads of pulp arriving, two pulp cars leaving empty and four clean cars supplied by the railroad.

I'm assuming that kaolin, starch and other such stuff will have enough of a dust problem that those cars will need to go the cleaning track before being loaded again.