Re: refrigerator car hatches

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Marty (not signing his full name) wrote:
Hi group: I not that some refrigerator cars moved with the hatches partially opened. I understand that some produce needed to be ventilateded (cool) but not frozen and some were heated in winter to prevent freezing. But what were the actual regulations contolling hatch opening?
Shipper could choose--there were no "regulations," though there was a tariff which specified charges for various services. This is explained further in the PFE book.

Publishers of books on railroad history