Re: paper density

Malcolm Laughlin <mlaughlinnyc@...>

First, my apology to the group for a big misstatement that should have been obvious to me and was based on a calculation error. 3700 cubic feet of paper at 60# / cu.ft. is 111 tons.
If you had rolls of the right diameter and height to completely fill that car, using a factor of pi/4 to account for the circular rolls, you get about 80 tons.
-----------------------------

, it looks like 50 tons of paper
would reuquire a box car of about 5555 cubic feet - much more than
any car of the 50's. Can someone tell me what were the typical
inside dimensions of 40 ft' box cars of that period.
=========
Canadian National Railways and Ontario Northland, both major players in the paper business, utilized their large fleet of 10' (3712 cu. ft.) and 10'6" (3900 cu. ft.) inside height cars for this purpose (CNR would have used more of the latter, whereas ONR only had 10' IH cars). It would be 1964 before CN moved to 50' cars of 11' IH/5092 cu. ft., which became the new standard for this service.

But what about in the 50's when ordinary box cars had 50 tons capacity ? When did they start to use 70 ton cars ? Rolls of four foot wide 60# paper stacked two high would put 72 tons on a 10 x 40 floor area if the rolls had a diameter of 3'4" with zero space between rolls.

Malcolm Laughlin, Editor 617-489-4383
New England Rail Shipper Directories
19 Holden Road, Belmont, MA 02478