Re: paper density

Malcolm Laughlin <mlaughlinnyc@...>

As far as which roads handle the traffic in and out of the paper company, that's something Tim and I can discuss with our club. But Tim does stimulate a few thoughts that are pertinent to this list.
Posted by: timboconnor@comcast.net > The whole point of the pulp-->paper mill is that it produces fine quality, coated papers. A kraft mill or newsprint mill would be far larger, consume vast quantities of sulfuric acid and other chemicals, and would not receive pulp but would receive vast amounts of pulpwood and wood chips.
------------------------------

I'd overlooked that, but it sure makes sense. Some of the paper is being shipped to a publishing company on our own railroad. So are there any ingredients that might arrive by rail in tank cars for the pulp to quality paper process.

> The mill is located on the Southern railway, and the C&LE only brings inbound loads of pulp from New England in 40 ft box cars. The Southern brings in kaolin and takes out the finished products.

The mill is in one of the corners of the junction of the Southern and C&LE railroads. That would indicate that the paper company, although it is switched by the SOU, could use either route for its outbound loads. That's one of the reasons that big industries wanted to locate where they could have access to two or more line haul carriers.

But the origin of the pulp is an interesting question. I was assuming the pulp would come from somewhere in the southeast. But then it may be that the pulp needed is of the sort that comes only from spieces of trees that grow in cooler climates. Was much pulp from NH and NE shipped to Virginia and other states that far from Maine ?

That would give us a good reason to have a bunch of MEC and B&M box cars.

Malcolm Laughlin, Editor 617-489-4383
New England Rail Shipper Directories
19 Holden Road, Belmont, MA 02478