Re: Bridges...and moving to/from site

cj riley <cjriley42@...>

On Jul 1, 2008, at 11:13 PM, PBowers wrote:
Also, When moving bridges on rail cars in the
steam era, was it more
common to move the bridge in a gondola with
flatcars to take care of
overhang or using all flatcars?
Peter,
While 1961 is just past our cutoff, I spent the summer at Levinson Steels fabricating plant (formerly the Pressed Steel Car plant) in Mckeesport PA. We were fabricating the bridges for a major section of I-70 in Ohio. We loaded very long plate girders and a few trusses, always in drop end gons with gons also as idlers. So the idlers and support cars can be either gons or flats.

CJ Riley