Re: 1940s tank car questions

Dennis Storzek

--- In STMFC@..., blindog@... wrote:

I recall a bulk oil dealer in Lebanon, TN whose storage tanks were
on the other side of the road from their spur (served by Tennessee
Central).

Scott Chatfield
Someplace I have a forties era survey map of my little corner of the
world in Elburn, IL. It shows two bulk oil jobbers lined up along a
C&NW spur, and IN BETWEEN the two, a third unloading stand piped out
to the street, then under the public street, to a jobber located
across the street from the other two.

Ah, the American way of life, with good ol' capitalistic competition.
Most modelers want to build a model of a town that has one of
everything; one elevator, one coal dealer, one lumberyard, one bulk
oil dealer... The problem is, the reality of the situation is that
most places that were large enough to support one of a type of
merchant normally had two, in competition with each other: two oil
dealers, two places to buy coal, two places to buy lumber, and
certainly more than one elevator. Often times, one of the two was a
Co-op, which didn't have to compete on price, since they offered
special credit terms to their members that the "public" merchants
couldn't match. So, you could get gasoline at the oil dealer, or at
the Co-op, coal at the coal dealer, or at the Co-op, some limited
lumber yard supplies at the Co-op, and well-to-do farmers sold their
crop to the public elevator, while everyone else sold theirs through
the Co-op.

Dennis