Re: Lima NYC/NISX stock car model

Tim O'Connor

Richard, I have a scan of NISX 167, a 40ft Mather stock car
lettered for North American Car Co. I also have a shot of a
50ft rebuild of a Mather stock car, NISX 3147, painted green
with a NYC herald. Mike Dudley did a beautiful kitbash of
NISX 3139 that he brought to an RPM meet.

As you correctly point out, these were not steam era cars.
The photos are from the early 1960's.

Tim O'Connor

No, no, and no. The models don't accurately represent any prototype
stock cars, as far as I can tell; for one thing, stock cars had long
since ceased to be built new before the late style Dreadnaught ends
were introduced. North American did not use NISX reporting marks,
nor did they lease stock cars to the NYC, during the steam/transition
era. And green paint? Whose idea was that?

Richard Hendrickson