Re: Loading Box Shook

William Keene <wakeene@...>

Bob,

I do not have any actual data to answer you questions, but can add a
bit of comment regarding question #2...

I doubt if there was a requirement for maintaining any open floor
space within the boxcar for access to the load. The car would have
been loaded from the end to the door, first one end, then the second
end, with the final loading from dock into the area just inside the
door. Assuming that the receiving packing house had a dock or ramp or
car level floor at the warehouse where received, unloading would have
just been the reverse of loading. Open the door and start removing the
shooks.

-- Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Jul 20, 2008, at 4:56 PM, Bob Chaparro wrote:

Here are a couple of questions about loading box shook, the wood used
to make boxes and crates. I'm particularly interested in the answers
as they apply to citrus packing crates.

1. How high would shook be loaded into a typical forty-foot box car?
2. How much floor space, if any, would be left for the receiver to
access the load?

The point of the questions is to eventually determine how many loads
of shook were shipped into a packing house to make creates for a
given number of loaded ice bunker reefers. Some sources say eight to
ten reefers went out for every load of shook received while others
believe this ratio is too low.

As there is ample documentary evidence that shook was precut to size
for citrus packing crates and bundled for shipment, the variables
that come into play with the shipment of random length of lumber and
wood intended for additional milling do not figure into these
questions.

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

P.S.: I enjoyed meeting several members of this group at the recent
Santa Fe Historical & Modeling Society and NMRA national
conventions. You folks really know your freight cars.