Al Kresse

From: "Bob Chaparro" <thecitrusbelt@...>
Here are a couple of questions about loading box shook, the wood used
to make boxes and crates. I'm particularly interested in the answers
as they apply to citrus packing crates.

1. How high would shook be loaded into a typical forty-foot box car?
2. How much floor space, if any, would be left for the receiver to
access the load?

The point of the questions is to eventually determine how many loads
of shook were shipped into a packing house to make creates for a
given number of loaded ice bunker reefers. Some sources say eight to
ten reefers went out for every load of shook received while others
believe this ratio is too low.

As there is ample documentary evidence that shook was precut to size
for citrus packing crates and bundled for shipment, the variables
that come into play with the shipment of random length of lumber and
wood intended for additional milling do not figure into these
questions.

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

P.S.: I enjoyed meeting several members of this group at the recent
Santa Fe Historical & Modeling Society and NMRA national
conventions. You folks really know your freight cars.