Re: Loading Box Shook (Converted Flat Cars)

Bob Chaparro <thecitrusbelt@...>

A response to my oriiginal question on another site brought the
following comment on how the McCloud River Railroad handled a box car
shortage many years ago.

Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA
=========================
Re: Loading Box Shook

In the mid-teens the McCloud River operations faced a severe car
shortage from the SP that threatened to decimate their box shook
business. Their solution involved installing temporary side and end
walls onto a number of their lumber flats, but they kept the roofs
open. One report I have seen from the end of 1917 indicated that the
company hoped to have somewhere in the neighborhood of 70 lumber flats
retrofitted into these temporary box cars specifically for box shook
shipments by sometime in the spring of 1918. I don't know how long
that practice lasted, but I'd be pretty confident that these cars did
get interchanged to the outside world.

Jeff Moore
Elko, NV