Re: Loading Box Shook (Converted Flat Cars)

railsnw1 <railsnw@...>

On the Yakima Valley Transportation Co. they had 14 wood flat cars
aquired in 1909 and 1910. When the connection to the Cascade Lumber
Co. sawmill in Yakima was made they would ship box shook from the
mill to the various packing houses along the YVT using these flat
cars. I'm not sure if sides were added but as they also used these
cars to haul gravel they probably had low side boards at least.

Richard Wilkens

--- In STMFC@..., "Bob Chaparro" <thecitrusbelt@...>
wrote:

A response to my oriiginal question on another site brought the
following comment on how the McCloud River Railroad handled a box
car
shortage many years ago.

Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA
=========================
Re: Loading Box Shook

In the mid-teens the McCloud River operations faced a severe car
shortage from the SP that threatened to decimate their box shook
business. Their solution involved installing temporary side and end
walls onto a number of their lumber flats, but they kept the roofs
open. One report I have seen from the end of 1917 indicated that the
company hoped to have somewhere in the neighborhood of 70 lumber
flats
retrofitted into these temporary box cars specifically for box shook
shipments by sometime in the spring of 1918. I don't know how long
that practice lasted, but I'd be pretty confident that these cars
did
get interchanged to the outside world.

Jeff Moore
Elko, NV