Re: Loading Box Shook (Converted Flat Cars)

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Richard,

The Diamond Match Co.'s mill at Paradise, California, owned two ex-Sacramento Northern passenger cars, one a formerly-powered combine and the other a trailer. Doors were cut into the sides, and they were used in interplant shook service from around 1942 to 1947. Then they were cut down to straight flat cars, though for what purpose I don't know.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

railsnw1 wrote:

On the Yakima Valley Transportation Co. they had 14 wood flat cars aquired in 1909 and 1910. When the connection to the Cascade Lumber Co. sawmill in Yakima was made they would ship box shook from the mill to the various packing houses along the YVT using these flat cars. I'm not sure if sides were added but as they also used these cars to haul gravel they probably had low side boards at least.

Richard Wilkens