Re: I love this photo!

Steve Lucas <stevelucas3@...>

Tony--

Yes, the cars would have been originally painted with identical spec
paint (likely matched from wet paint samples as CN did?). After all,
the P-Company WAS "The Standard Railroad of the World". I can only
agree with your assessment about the factors that produced the
variation in car colour that we see in this photo.

Another factor I'd submit to explain colour variation on cars painted
with paint meeting the railroad's standard--the use of different
formulae and/or raw material for paint by different manufacturers,
including changes made by them over the course of many years. All
the manufacturer would have had to do was match the PRR Standard
(drift card or wet paint sample) at the time of sale of their product
to the PRR. The paints may have weathered differently SUBSEQUENT to
their application. Not to mention quality of preparation for
painting in each car shop ( Altoona vs other PRR shops, for
example?), and condition of the car's steelwork that the paint was
applied to.

CN actually stencilled in the late 1950's, using about 1"
stencilling, some boxcars just above the reporting marks with the
name of the manufacturer of paint used, shop symbol, and date
applied.

And the inside of each hopper car in the Shorpy photo--quite a
variation as well. All of which presents either a challenge, or as I
prefer--a lot of fun with painting and weathering for the modeller.

I have a similar colour photo from the Dave Shaw collection showing
quite a variation of "standard colour" on CN cars at Palmerston, ON,
(that I use when someone questions me about "CN standard paint
colours" on MY models) but this Jack Delano photo is more likely to
be in the public domain. Thanks to the gent that gave us the Shorpy
website reference in the first place. There are a lot of good colour
STMFC (mostly Jack Delano WWII) photos on it.

Steve Lucas.

Steve Lucas wrote:
Yet there is quite a variance in car colour, and the PRR would
certianly have painted them all with "PRR STANDARD" paint.
This shows why I don't get too hung up on paint matching--the
prototype didn't---.
I should have added this--"after the cars were placed in service".

Steve, I don't think your conclusion is logical. Nothing I can
see
in the image contradicts the idea that every car was ORIGINALLY
painted
the identical color, but at different times, and has encountered
different kinds and amounts of weathering.
And the glimpse of interior color and weathering variations
is
perhaps more interesting than the OUTSIDES of the cars.
Of course, Schuyler's point is relevant too. Few modelers of
PRR
or any road have model cars with this range of exterior color.
After
all, they "wouldn't look right."

Publishers of books on railroad history