Re: ACF type 7 "high walkway" tank cars - AB brakes

Bruce Smith

Steve,

By "one of these", do you mean a type 7 with AB brakes? Who made that model? Or a is your model the W&R brass model with K brakes? If it is the later, then the answer is a unequivocal no as K brakes were finally banned as of January 1, 1954 on all cars in interchange. IIRC, some of these cars lasted a bit past that date in MOW service on railroads, but not in general service.

And to belatedly address Rob's question, the reason you can't find photos is that few if any cars were converted. Most of the type 7s were gone by WWII, and the rest departed general service shortly thereafter. There would have been little or no financial incentive to convert these cars as they would have been 40+ years old by the conversion deadline. Why do you want to model these cars with AB brakes?

Regards
Bruce

Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

On Jul 31, 2008, at 6:23 AM, Steve Lucas wrote:

I picked up one of these in HO a while back. Were any of these cars
around in 1956, say, with any of the major firms--North American,
GATX, or UTLX?

Steve Lucas.

--- In STMFC@..., "Rob M." <rule292@...> wrote:

Hello List,

I've been digging so far with no avail to find any photographic
evidence of ACF type 7 "high walkway" tank cars in commercial
service with converted AB brakes. I've checked my magazines, I've
googled online and I looked at Bob's Photos at the National; all to
no avail.
<SNIP>
I was hoping to do 8k and 10k cars with AB brake conversions but I
need some in-service photos that I can match up to my ORER's.