Re: Modelling aluminum sheathing on boxcars

jim_mischke <jmischke@...>

Ten years service would make the boxcar aluminum finish very dull.
The aluminum foil technique would be inferior to paint, and five
times the work. This boxcar is not a well cared for airplane.

Consider researching what military modelers use for various bare
metals. These guys and their vendor base have solved many modeling
problems, yet there is little cross fertilzation between our hobby
and theirs.

There is some military dull metal finish paint that will get you an
acceptable look for your aluminum shealthed boxcar.

--- In STMFC@..., "Steve Lucas" <stevelucas3@...> wrote:

On the weekend, I picked up a couple of True line Trains' HO 40' CN
boxcars. Very nice models, but with a few very small issues that
can
be easily taken care of. One car that I purchased models a CN
aluminum-
sided boxcar, CN 521498, one of three experimental aluminum
sheathed
cars built in 1946--

http://imagescn.technomuses.ca/railways/index_view.cfm?photoid=-
1936671483&id=55

And here's the True Line Trains' model--

http://www.modeltrains.com/PICTURES/PICTURES%20-%20Non-brass-1/True%
20Line%20Trains/TLT-000001-399999/tlt-300034-1%20copy.jpg

I'm not totally satisfied with the use of aluminum paint to
simulate
aluminum sheathing on this car, and would like your comments on a
better method to model this. Perhaps aluminum foil? On the other
hand, as I am modelling a timeframe ten years after this car was
built,
would the paint on the model approximate (maybe with some
weathering)
ten-year-old aluminum sheathing?

Thanks in advance,

Steve Lucas.