Re: COAL TRAFFIC

Bruce Smith

On Aug 4, 2008, at 11:16 AM, joel norman wrote:

GENTLEMAN:
NEED SOME MODELING DATA:1950-1956 NORTHEAST USA(PENNA-NY)Coal for
the steel mills of Buffalo out of coal county(WvA/Va/Ohio/Ky)would have
moved in whose coal cars other then PRR?and who offers these cars in HO?
Im sorry to the owner of the sight if this isnt the right group for the
question,please if let me know and I will direct it to the proper
sight.Not looking for traffic data as much as which railroad hopper to
model within the era Ive listed(51-56)...
Joel,

It might be easier to list the ones you would not be likely to see...
For example, western roads like UP, AT&SF, CB&Q would be unlikely. PA
roads like P&LE would be fairly common. I also see a fair number of
B&O and Reading hoppers, but very few N&W and C&O. The "Bob Charles"
collection had a CofG hopper in Harrisburg, along with at least 15
other foreign roads. There are also some great yard shots in books by
Don Ball and others - look and see what it there.

As for models, the archives of this list, plus a membership to the RPI website (at $5/month) are invaluable tools to determine appropriate models. When focusing on particular roads, you can find fleet type articles, such as Ben Hom's series on B&O hoppers in the B&O Modeler.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL