Re: Early Schnabel Cars

Richard Brennan <brennan8@...>

At 12:34 PM 8/5/2008, John Thompson wrote:
I have searched the Web and this list's archives, but I can't find
anything about when the first Schnabel cars appeared on US rails, and
whether they looked different from the HO models currently available.
Does anyone here know the history of these cars for the steam era?
It looks like the Schnabel may have just
slipped-in at the end of the Steam era...

"100 Years of Railroad Cars" (Walter Lucas, ©
1958) has photos and plans for WECX 200, a
250-ton Schnabel built in June 1957 by Greenville for Westinghouse.

One photo shows a typically large Westinghouse
transformer load, with a banner reading "Another
Westinghouse First"... which may indicate that
this was the first shipment of its kind.

The car looks quite modellogenic... 4 six-wheel
buckeye trucks, and two full separate sets of
brake gear sitting out on top of the flat deck of
the car halves. The whole thing is only about
65ft over the strikers, close-coupled with no load.

Richard Brennan - San Leandro CA