Re: Early Schnabel Cars

rfederle@...

I found the excerpt below from the following website:

http://home.att.net/~Berliner-Ultrasonics/rrschnb2.html#schnmisc

"* - Spelling of the Name: SCHNABEL vs. SCHNABLE - "Schnabel" is the KORREKT spelling! It is the German word for "beak", which I originally thought referred to the beak-shaped loading arms, but now know was the name of the German inventor of the design ca. 1930 or so. I don't know where or when I started using "Schnable", but it was wrong and I don't mind admitting my error. "

It appears the design is from Europe in 1930.

Robert Federle

---- Richard Brennan <brennan8@...> wrote:

WECX 200 photos at:
<http://southern.railfan.net/schnabel/cars/ptdx200/wecx200.html>
The c1957 photo in the middle of the page look
like the same shipment as in the book.

Richard

At 08:50 PM 8/5/2008, Richard Brennan wrote:
At 12:34 PM 8/5/2008, John Thompson wrote:
I have searched the Web and this list's archives, but I can't find
anything about when the first Schnabel cars appeared on US rails, and
whether they looked different from the HO models currently available.
Does anyone here know the history of these cars for the steam era?
It looks like the Schnabel may have just
slipped-in at the end of the Steam era...

"100 Years of Railroad Cars" (Walter Lucas, ©
1958) has photos and plans for WECX 200, a
250-ton Schnabel built in June 1957 by Greenville for Westinghouse.

One photo shows a typically large Westinghouse
transformer load, with a banner reading "Another
Westinghouse First"... which may indicate that
this was the first shipment of its kind.

The car looks quite modellogenic... 4 six-wheel
buckeye trucks, and two full separate sets of
brake gear sitting out on top of the flat deck of
the car halves. The whole thing is only about
65ft over the strikers, close-coupled with no load.

Richard Brennan - San Leandro CA