Re: Early Schnabel Cars

John Thompson

Thanks to all (so far). I had seen the reference to 1957 but didn't
know if that was the first such car in the US or not. The Berliner
website includes the following reference, but it's not clear to me
whether it's a Schnabel car or a heavy-duty flat car:
--------------

Photo (and blowup detail) accompanying "Interview with Claire I.
Clugh", KEYSTONE, Volume 29, Number 2, Summer 1996, Pages 14-15,
PRRT&HS, FD2 #470245 in Apr 1952 (with Mr. Clugh and another in front
for scale - WOW!).
--------------

Does anyone have more information on this reference or on the first
Schnabel cars in the US?

Thanks again,
John Thompson

--- In STMFC@..., <rfederle@...> wrote:

I found the excerpt below from the following website:

http://home.att.net/~Berliner-Ultrasonics/rrschnb2.html#schnmisc

"* - Spelling of the Name: SCHNABEL vs. SCHNABLE - "Schnabel" is
the KORREKT spelling! It is the German word for "beak", which I
originally thought referred to the beak-shaped loading arms, but now
know was the name of the German inventor of the design ca. 1930 or
so. I don't know where or when I started using "Schnable", but it
was wrong and I don't mind admitting my error. "

It appears the design is from Europe in 1930.

Robert Federle

---- Richard Brennan <brennan8@...> wrote:
WECX 200 photos at:
<http://southern.railfan.net/schnabel/cars/ptdx200/wecx200.html>
The c1957 photo in the middle of the page look
like the same shipment as in the book.

Richard

At 08:50 PM 8/5/2008, Richard Brennan wrote:
At 12:34 PM 8/5/2008, John Thompson wrote:
I have searched the Web and this list's archives, but I can't
find
anything about when the first Schnabel cars appeared on US
rails, and
whether they looked different from the HO models currently
available.
Does anyone here know the history of these cars for the steam
era?

It looks like the Schnabel may have just
slipped-in at the end of the Steam era...

"100 Years of Railroad Cars" (Walter Lucas, ©
1958) has photos and plans for WECX 200, a
250-ton Schnabel built in June 1957 by Greenville for
Westinghouse.

One photo shows a typically large Westinghouse
transformer load, with a banner reading "Another
Westinghouse First"... which may indicate that
this was the first shipment of its kind.

The car looks quite modellogenic... 4 six-wheel
buckeye trucks, and two full separate sets of
brake gear sitting out on top of the flat deck of
the car halves. The whole thing is only about
65ft over the strikers, close-coupled with no load.

Richard Brennan - San Leandro CA