Re: COAL TRAFFIC

Malcolm Laughlin <mlaughlinnyc@...>

As an addenum to Malcolm's NYC details, the Cambria & Indiana connected with the NYC (at Manver or Mentcle, PA, I think). Coal from mines served by the C&I in central Cambria county may have gone north over the NYC in C&I hoppers.

Eric Hansmann
Morgantown, W. Va.
=========

I'm glad you mentioned that Eric. Brings back interesting memories from a trip I made to the area in 1966 to count hopper cars to verify our car inventory control system. Here's some info gleaned from a C&I historical site.

The C&I didn’t connect directly with the NYC. It connected with the Cherry Tree & Dixonville at Manver. The CT&D was jointly operated by NYC and PRR, connecting with both at Cherry Tree.

Bethelehem Steel controlled the C&I from 1950. Here’s an interesting relevant note from a C&I history site “By 1962, there were only four mines left on the line …… Bethlehem opened Mine 33 near Ebensburg in 1963 and Barnes & Tucker opened a large mine at Stiles in 1965. ……By then, most freight left the C&I at either Nanty Glo or Ebensburg. Coal bound for Bethlehem Steel's Buffalo and Bethlehem plants left the line at Manver and a unit coal train from Stiles bound for Pennsylvania Power and Light (PP&L) left the C&I via the Rexis Branch.”

“During the 1930's and 1940's, the C&I had the largest inventory of rolling stock in the western hemisphere, primarily because of its many hopper cars.”

I don’t recall seeing many C&I hoppers on the NYC in the 60’s. I suspect that is because most of the C&I coal went to Beth’s blast furnaces at Johnston, Steelton and Baltimore. Clearfield coal would likely have been a lot cheaper to use at Buffalo, bring a single line haul with less distance.

For more, see http://www.trainweb.org/cambriaindiana/history.htm

Malcolm Laughlin, Editor 617-489-4383
New England Rail Shipper Directories
19 Holden Road, Belmont, MA 02478