Re: Simulating Carriage Bolt Heads in HO

Walter M. Clark

Wow, in just five days I received several varied suggestions to my
question (below) from Jack Burgess, Chuck Hladik, Michael at Free
State Systems, Manfred Lorenz and Eric Hansmann. In addition Gordon
Andrews answered off list, and I added his suggestions below my
original question. I'm going to try most of them, and while I've seen
the Scale Hardware site Manfred suggested I haven't been there in
about a year. He's added several more items. If anyone is interested
in trying some REALLY SMALL bolts, nuts, washers, etc., give him a
look. His stuff is much less expensive than any other source I've
found. No connection, just a happy customer.

Thanks, again

Time stopped in November 1941
Walter M. Clark
Pullman, Washington, USA

--- In STMFC@..., "wmcclark1980" <walterclark@...> wrote:

Group,

In my quest for information to speed my complete nervous breakdown <g>
I'm interested in how one would simulate the carriage bolt heads in,
among other things, wooden running boards? I've looked at the
included resin and plastic running boards in several resin kits from
Al Westerfield and Martin Lofton, and the Red Caboose 1937 AAR box
cars, and can't figure out a way to do the bolt heads if I replace the
resin and plastic running boards with real wood. Right now I have
something in excess of 100 resin and plastic kits that need wooden
running boards, and have wracked my brain for ideas. Nothing surfaced
so I'm posing the question to this group.

Thanks,

Time stopped in November 1941
Walter M. Clark
Pullman, Washington, USA
Gordon Andrews answered off list, suggesting heating and stretching
plastic sprue, or using fiber optic cable or monofilament fishing
line, either heating the end to mushroom it to the appropriate
diameter or with plastic using solvent to melt it to size and shape.