Re: Freight car distribution

Tim O'Connor

I'll repeat my point: the shipper chose the route.
Tony Thompson
Tony, all I meant was that the shipper chose the AVAILABLE
route. Not all possible routes were available, and many of
those that were available, were circuitous. That was my
point -- a railroad did not have to take part in a tariff
if they didn't want to. The example I gave was a real one:
the Rock Island signed on to a C&NW tariff from Peoria to
St Louis. Even though the Rock Island's route structure
meant the car had to travel west to Kansas City and then
east to St Louis -- about 4 times the distance.

In the brokered cargo cases, yes, the shipper chose the
route specified in the tariff -- but ONLY because the
railroads involved chose to create that tariff. The NP
and other railroads collaborated to create weird routes
for loads of lumber that would attract this traffic to
their lines. The destinations of such tariffs were in
the middle of nowhere -- so the shipper wanted plenty of
time to re-consign the car before it arrived there. If it
did arrive, they would have to pay