Re: Selecting cars for loading + statistical observation

devansprr

--- In STMFC@..., Malcolm Laughlin <mlaughlinnyc@...> wrote:
I can't tell you some amusing tales about trying to apply linear
programming to car distribution because that clearly required after
1961 computer capability.

Malcom,

Thanks for the insight from the OR perspective. Did anyone ever try to
use OR to analyze historical data to see if they could spot some
unknown operational problem/trend rather than solve an immediate
problem? I would expect not since the people on the ground probably
knew what the problems were - very different from telephones where the
lack of human involvement (relative to the number of "events") led to
a lack of information.

Appreciate the programming humor. As an engineer that graduated about
the time the PC came out, I'm continually amazed at how much analysis
was accomplished during the days before computers. Lots was done in
the 60's and 70's with main-frames and mini-computers, but before that
- Wow! and often with very large data sets.

Thanks for the help,
Dave Evans