Re: A Purpose For Frt Car Distribution Studies. Was: Re: Re

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Malcolm Laughlin wrote:
Let's not get too hung up on averages. After all, the average day rarely happenned. If 10 % of the cars were wagon tops, then there were probably days when out of ten cars five would be wagons . . .
Of course, but the average is a place to start. Otherwise you are just winging it. I don't understand the excitement of many posters, to point out that there are substantial swings from the average. That doesn't eliminate the importance of the average as the core datum. Moreover, my instinct is that what "looks right" is probably the average, not the extremes of the data. Without more specific data, and we have precious little, I believe that trying to look typical is an excellent beginning.

Publishers of books on railroad history