diversions.

Malcolm Laughlin <mlaughlinnyc@...>

I'd like to try to clarify the diversion thing a bit based on what I believe to have been the rules. The excerpt from Don Holbrook below is a nice summary of what happened. BTW, all that I've read so far from Don is consistent with my experience.

There were limits to circuity in diverting cars. The cars had to be diverted/reconsigned in a manner such that their path from origin to destination was a legal route, as shown in the routing guide. There was a single routing guide that was itself a tariff and one of several supplementary tariffs referenced by most commodity and class rate tariffs. {note: other tariffs refereneced by most rate tariffs were the Open and Prepay Station List, ORER, demurrage tariff and Uniform Freight calssifications } The rouitng guide had all of the valid routes. That included most combinations of railroads and junctions that did not cause excess circuity. Circuity was expressed as a percentage of short line miles [There was another supplementary tariff that had short line miles between all points.]. I don't remeber the actual factor, but let's use 120 for example.

Here is an example. From Roseburg, OR (lumber loading area) to Provincetowm MA, the short line mileage is 3653, routed SP-Ogden-UP-Omaha-CNW-Chicago-NYC-Framingham-NH. USing the 120 percent rule, we can go 4384 miles. Here's a route we could use to delay one of those lumber rollers. SP-Portland-UP-Denver-MP-MEMphis-SOU-Washington-PRR-New York-NH. That route is 4375 miles. At any point between Roseburg and Little Rock the car could be diveted to a direct route via Chicago or St. Louis and NYC to Framingham.

=========================
> Don said
Diversions were specified by the broker. However, a car could be
diverted once without cost to the broker providing the car was going
in a straight line movement between two end points. Example would be
diversion lumber moving from Pacific Northwest via MSTL to Peoria and
Peoria being the broker specified destination. It the car reached
Albert Lea, MN and was diverted to Indianpolis, IN for the final
customer the diversion was free. However, if the diversion was from
Albert Lea, MN to Sioux Falls, SD then, depending on era, was either
treated as a diversion with a specific charge, or as an entirely new
shipment because of the diversion being back in a westward movement.
Brokers made every attempt to sell their product enroute and in a
linear fashion.

Malcolm Laughlin, Editor 617-489-4383
New England Rail Shipper Directories
19 Holden Road, Belmont, MA 02478