Re: Freight car distribution - hopper rule

Malcolm Laughlin <mlaughlinnyc@...>

Example: To protect their car supply, certain railroads subscribed to an interchange rule that mandated their empty cars could not be loaded on the return trip without their express consent. This was C&O, Virginian, N&W, and L&N, to a lesser extent C&EI, WM.

This refers to what were known (IIRC) as C411 cars. That was an AAR directive, not an interchange rule that railroads could subscribed to. It specified that hoppers of certain roads could not be loaded but must be returned empty to the owner - BTW an old rule in 1960. I know that it included N&W and C&O and I believe L&N. I believe a few other roads were added later. It di not include C&EI or B&O, although I think it might be that B&O was addeed later when it became controlled by C&O.

The criterion for inclusion in C411 was that the railroad owned an adequate number [by an arcane AAR formula] of cars to protect its own loadings. Few railroads qualified.

Malcolm Laughlin, Editor 617-489-4383
New England Rail Shipper Directories
19 Holden Road, Belmont, MA 02478