Re: A Purpose For Frt Car Distribution Studies. Was: Re: Re

Malcolm Laughlin <mlaughlinnyc@...>

Tony said
> That doesn't eliminate the importance of the average as the core datum. Moreover, my instinct is that what "looks right" is probably the average, not the extremes of the data. Without more specific data, and we have precious little, I believe that trying to look typical is an excellent beginning

I'm OK with the average as the core datum, but recognizing that the average in the car distribution case may be at one side of a skewed distribution orm otherwise not a true average. Any average is better than zero or infinity as the starting point.

Malcolm Laughlin, Editor 617-489-4383
New England Rail Shipper Directories
19 Holden Road, Belmont, MA 02478