Re: diversions.

Bill McCoy

Diversions could be filed by the beneficial owner of the car's lading
as shown on the Bill of Lading and reflected on the Waybill that
accompanied the car. Up to 3 diversions could be made on a car IIRC.
To protect the through rates from origin to ultimate destination the
routing specified in the rate tariff that may refer to a routing
guide (tariff) had to be protected. If the SAL received a carload of
west coast lumber from the SLSF at Birmingham consigned to a customer
in Petersburg, VA and the shipper of consignee wanted to divert
(reconsign) the car to a customer on the SAL in Savannah they would
have to file the diversion before the car departed Hamlet, NC. (Look
at an SAL map and you will see why). Protecting the through rate was
very important as the local rate from a SAL point beyond Hamlet would
add significantly to the transportation cost. If the customer in
Savannah was located on the Southern Ry, closed to reciprocal
switching requiring the Southern to have a line haul, the car would
have to be diverted on the SLSF before delivery to the SAL at
Birmingham. This is because the Southern had no routes that would
allow the SAL to be intermediate between the SAL and Southern on
traffic moving via the Birmingham gateway to Southern RY destinations.

Diversions were a serious business and one of my first duties every
morning was to check to see that Hamlet had made my diversions from
the day before. If we missed the diversion we had to protect the
through rate even if the car was then out of route. Lumber and west
coast produce were the major commodities diverted and Charlotte had a
flock of brokers. Later to avoid the pain of switching out cars
already classified to a different destination the diversion rules on
CSX were changed to require that the diversion be filed before the
car arrived at the last diversion point.

Bill McCoy
Jax, FL

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Malcolm Laughlin <mlaughlinnyc@...>
wrote:

I'd like to try to clarify the diversion thing a bit based on what
I believe to have been the rules. The excerpt from Don Holbrook
below is a nice summary of what happened. BTW, all that I've read so
far from Don is consistent with my experience.

There were limits to circuity in diverting cars. The cars had to
be diverted/reconsigned in a manner such that their path from origin
to destination was a legal route, as shown in the routing guide.
There was a single routing guide that was itself a tariff and one of
several supplementary tariffs referenced by most commodity and class
rate tariffs. {note: other tariffs refereneced by most rate tariffs
were the Open and Prepay Station List, ORER, demurrage tariff and
Uniform Freight calssifications } The rouitng guide had all of the
valid routes. That included most combinations of railroads and
junctions that did not cause excess circuity. Circuity was expressed
as a percentage of short line miles [There was another supplementary
tariff that had short line miles between all points.]. I don't
remeber the actual factor, but let's use 120 for example.

Here is an example. From Roseburg, OR (lumber loading area) to
Provincetowm MA, the short line mileage is 3653, routed SP-Ogden-UP-
Omaha-CNW-Chicago-NYC-Framingham-NH. USing the 120 percent rule, we
can go 4384 miles. Here's a route we could use to delay one of those
lumber rollers. SP-Portland-UP-Denver-MP-MEMphis-SOU-Washington-PRR-
New York-NH. That route is 4375 miles. At any point between
Roseburg and Little Rock the car could be diveted to a direct route
via Chicago or St. Louis and NYC to Framingham.

=========================
> Don said
Diversions were specified by the broker. However, a car could be
diverted once without cost to the broker providing the car was
going
in a straight line movement between two end points. Example would
be
diversion lumber moving from Pacific Northwest via MSTL to Peoria
and
Peoria being the broker specified destination. It the car reached
Albert Lea, MN and was diverted to Indianpolis, IN for the final
customer the diversion was free. However, if the diversion was from
Albert Lea, MN to Sioux Falls, SD then, depending on era, was
either
treated as a diversion with a specific charge, or as an entirely
new
shipment because of the diversion being back in a westward
movement.
Brokers made every attempt to sell their product enroute and in a
linear fashion.

Malcolm Laughlin, Editor 617-489-4383
New England Rail Shipper Directories
19 Holden Road, Belmont, MA 02478