Re: A Purpose For Frt Car Distribution Studies

Gene Green <bierglaeser@...>

An average always means the same thing, Malcolm, though in a
skewed distribution it will not lie at the same location as the most
frequent data, which lay persons usually assume the average to be
(and > which it is in a symmetrical distribution). But I have no idea
what a > "true average" is.

-Does- average always mean the same thing? I learned (correctly, I
hope) that "average" could be one of three things; mean, median or
mode. Usually when folks - those unencumbered by formal education -
say "average" they actually mean "arithmetic mean."

Gene Green
OitwTtoEP