Re: Box car counts by RR - NMRA Charles collection

boyds1949 <E27ca@...>

I don't think we can draw too many conclusions on car distrubution
based on the list of cars in the Charles Collection other than to
marvel at the variety of cars which stopped in Harrisburg. The
selection of cars to photograph was at the descretion of the
photographer. Cars in accessable areas or cars which were of
interest to the photographer may have been more likely to have been
photographed so the list may not be a representative sample.

The UP and Southern conductor's books list every car that the
conductor encountered in their trains and should be more likely to be
representative samples for the territories covered.

John King

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Malcolm Laughlin <mlaughlinnyc@...>
wrote:

I believe that the random variables in this situation are the
boxcar
counts for each railroad.
================

The box car ownership counts themselves are highly biased. A
significant percentage of the box cars was our of service. For
example, obsolete cars used only in the harvest season for grain
for rebuilding, cars designated for shop programs for special
equipment, etc., etc. Depending on the railroad those could account
for anywhere from five to 20 percent of the box cars.

There are other biases in the live cars. Like 50' DD or WD cars
for lumber loading, cars with six foot doors useful for grain but
likely to be rejected by many shippers. There were os many XM box
cars with dimensional characteristics that would keep them from being
randomly distributed.

Malcolm Laughlin, Editor 617-489-4383
New England Rail Shipper Directories
19 Holden Road, Belmont, MA 02478