Re: Freight car distribution

Malcolm Laughlin <mlaughlinnyc@...>

-It is a STARTING place - I have yet to hear anyone offer a different
starting place based on data other than their own opinion, and frankly,
I'd rather take my chances with the data ;^)

Did you read my post about a distance based algorithm. Selecting the weighting factors is a guess, but if I had to bet, I'd say it will give me something closer to real distributions on railroads like FEC, B&M-MEC-BAR, WP and many ithers, if they were observable.

> -The model DOES NOT preclude the use of oddballs, but it does INFORM the
modeler that these are oddballs.

But it's indication of oddballs can be very wrong.

Malcolm Laughlin, Editor 617-489-4383
New England Rail Shipper Directories
19 Holden Road, Belmont, MA 02478