Re: Freight car distribution

Malcolm Laughlin <mlaughlinnyc@...>

Posted by: "wmcclark1980" What we have is the problem that always occurs when using statistics.
Most people won't accept that a relatively small sample size can
forecast much larger populations with extreme accuracy.

That's not what the discussion is about Walter. For that theory to work you need a population that is homogenous with respect to some variable. With railrad box cars, we are working with lumpy distributions with varying degrees of skewness and nothing near a normal or poisson or other kind of distributionfor which we know how to calculate statistical significance.

Malcolm Laughlin, Editor 617-489-4383
New England Rail Shipper Directories
19 Holden Road, Belmont, MA 02478