Re: freight car distribution - rejecting the equal distribution hypo

Cyril Durrenberger

Malcolm Laughlin <mlaughlinnyc@yahoo.com> wrote: Cyril, I like your approach, but two comment/questions.

3. If we can show that in 1910 the non home box cars are distributed by national roster
Has anyone ever done this ? BC of course.

Not that I am aware of. I would to do this if I could obtain appropriate data.

25% from the national fleet based roughly on the percentage of their car fleet. The split of model SP Lines box, flat and gondola cars was based on the percentage of each type of car on the roster at that time and the road names.
Does it really make sense to you that any one SP&S or DSS&A or BAR or FEC car would be as likelto get to your railroad as a car from T&NO or IGN or any other railroad that got near Houston ?

Maybe I did not make this clear. For box cars
50% to the SP Lines including a little more for the HE&WT. One could see SP Atlantic Lines cars all over the SP. For example, I have a photo of a HE&WT flat hauling logs on the Pacific Coast. Some ML&T flat cars were fitted with sugar beet racks to serve areas in California.
25% to lines connecting with the HE&WT. That would be all the railroads in Houston and Shreveport and some in between. I&GN, T&BV, MKT of Texas (MKT also), SA&AP, GC&SF (Santa Fe also), VS&P, LR&N off the top of my head (my records are back in Texas)
25% to lines not connecting with the HE&WT somewhat based on the size of their car fleet. So the PRR and NYC would likely be the largest etc.
So there will always be some T&NO cars around (even though at that time the T&NO did not have as many cars as many of the other Atlantic Lines, but that is another story) and the others you mentioned may not ever show up. I am not sure if the FEC had been built at that time. I am not sure how big a fleet SP&S had at that time. I do have a DSS&A box car that shows up every now and then(bringing snow sleds down south - another inside joke that I will not tell now).
Hope that makes things more clear.
Cyril

Cyril Durrenberger

Malcolm Laughlin, Editor 617-489-4383