Re: Flatcar planking - size of boards? 2x6 seems small

rwitt_2000

Bruce Smith wrote:
snip

I too have used scale lumber to build decks and I REALLY like the way
they look. When I do that, I start at each end and work towards the
middle. With a few boards to go, you should test the fit of the
remaining boards, as you may need to sand down several to make them
fit. This small adjustment in several boards will look much better
than having a half board in the middle of the car.

Bruce,

You raise an interesting point and question "How did car builders place
the decking on flat cars?" Did they start from the ends as you do or
from the middle. I have no idea. To save costs, I would suggest that on
actual flat cars there would be an odd width board or two and that would
be prototypical. There also is the type of flatcar design where the top
of the body bolsters are flush with the decking so these cars have
smaller openings to fit the decking into creating the potential for even
more odd width boards.

Bob Witt