Re: Flatcar planking - size of boards? 2x6 seems small

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Bruce Smith wrote:
On the subject of creosoted lumber for flat car decks. We've learned here previously some railroads did precisely that (e.g. AT&SF), and that others (e.g. PRR) did not (Pennsy used oak, which was considered a "junk" hardwood at the time).
SP car specs say "treated" lumber, usually Douglas fir, but photos how a light color which is obviously not creosoted. My recollections from the 1950s certainly do not include creosote on any flat cars I looked at, SP or otherwise.

Publishers of books on railroad history