Re: Freight car distribution

Malcolm Laughlin <mlaughlinnyc@...>

Bruce said
> My point is that while the national fleet model may not predict with
100% accuracy, it is a STARTING place, and in the absence of any other
data, provides you with a reasonable representation of the steam era
(based on the data sets).

I've already said that I agree that absent any better data the national proportion is a good starting point in that it gives better percentages than zero or 100 %. But, for the many reasons that I've stated, I think that adjusting that model with weighting factors related to proximity of the owning railroad is more realistic. Whether the weights sould be between 1 and 2 or 1 and 5 or some other ratio is a matter of judgement. But the random variations of the real world obviate the need for precision.

Looking at it from a practical perspective, visiting railroaders aren't likely to notice anything amiss with something approaching the national perecentages or reasonably weighted percentages, especially if modeling a rilroad in the midwest. But if the modeled location is a location like Florida or Maine or Washington, a nationally weighted fleet will look out of place to me.

Malcolm Laughlin, Editor 617-489-4383
New England Rail Shipper Directories
19 Holden Road, Belmont, MA 02478