Re: ORER inaccuracy

al_brown03

For each station, the Rutland had a "Schedule Showing Property
Changes Subsequent to Valuation Date 1917". The schedules are
reproduced in Nimke's books. What was done about cars, I don't know.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

Dennis Storzek wrote:
Hmmm... I was under the impression that after the initial ICC
valuation of the railroads, the law mandated that it be kept
current.

This is correct. The SP employee I know who worked on ORER
submissions was in the SP's Valuation Department and they did
indeed
keep everything updated. But I don't know if that was reported to
the
ICC regularly. Years ago, I asked Bill Edson about that, and he
believed there were no such reporting records at the ICC, but of
course
he may have been wrong.

Then again, I seem to recall that it was this valuation process
that
prompted railroads (at least the Soo Line) to implement the
Authority
For Expenditure file system . . .
A Harriman Lines innovation, IIRC, which indeed spread
widely
if not universally. Could it have been mandated by the ICC at some
point?

. . . it is possible that this information wasn't even reported,
the
ICC just mandated that it be tracked, and the information be
available
in the RR's files if it was needed.
I would say this is the likeliest possibility.

Speaking of the Soo Line, I know the Mechanical Department at one
time
maintained a card file with a discrete card for every single car
on
the roster, on which items that could be classed as "betterments"
were
noted. I have seen some of the cards. Unfortunately, the file
itself
and most the cards are long gone.
Ditto for SP--they used 5x7 cards--but except for cabooses
and
MOW, all cards are gone AFAIK. But the PFE cards survive in
substantial
numbers (though well short of complete) at CSRM. What SP cards do
survive are mostly at CSRM also.

Publishers of books on railroad history