Re: Freight car distribution YV per diem

Malcolm Laughlin <mlaughlinnyc@...>

Posted by: "Jack Burgess" jack@yosemitevalleyrr.com yvrrus But wouldn't that information be needed every day to pay for per diem
charges?
============ An interesting point Jack. Sorry I didn't think of that earlier.

But the answer to your question is a current no and a later yes. There was no daily need for the information. The per diem settlement was made on a monthly basis. I have a vague recollection that two months were allowed for the calculation and then a month to make payment, on a net basis. Not sure of those numbers but it was months.

Interchange reports were, IIRC, collected by the freight agent (I could be wrong on that) and forwarded by company mail to the car accounting deaprtment. The per diem payment between railroads A and B was based on the rper diem rate multplied by the difference of car days of cars owned by B on railroad A and A's car days on B.

There was no need for a count by day or by car type as the per diem was a uniform rate per car per day.

Malcolm Laughlin, Editor 617-489-4383
New England Rail Shipper Directories
19 Holden Road, Belmont, MA 02478