Digest Number 5367

Stan Hall

Steam era freight car discussion group. The time period covered will
be from 1900-1960.
Messages In This Digest (8 Messages)
1a.
Re: ORER discrepancy From: George Hollwedel
1b.
Re: ORER discrepancy From: George W Simmons
2.1.
Re: Per Diem From: mcindoefalls
2.2.
Re: Per Diem From: George W Simmons
2.3.
Re: Per Diem From: Steve Lucas
3.1.
Re: What HO truck(s) do we STMFC'ers want? From: finkfam98055
3.2.
Re: What HO truck(s) do we STMFC'ers want? From: Brian J Carlson
3.3.
Re: What HO truck(s) do we STMFC'ers want? From: Brian Leppert
View All Topics | Create New Topic Messages
1a.
Re: ORER discrepancy
Posted by: "George Hollwedel" @GeorgeH proto.nscale
Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:09 pm (PDT)

Is "uo" US? Is "cay" car?

Prototype N Scale Models (TM)
by George Hollwedel
310 Loma Verde St
Buda, TX 78610-9785
512-796-6883
www.micro-trains.com/sr-0806-hollwedelATSF.php
www.micro-trains.com/hollwedel.php
www.imrcmodels.com/n/sr/html/GHollATSFExpressN.htm

> -------------------
> The impetus was to have accuracy only on the uo side. It
> was necessary that any cay that might handle revenue traffic
> be listed, but not that every car listed be in service, or
> even exist.
>

> Malcolm Laughlin, Editor
> 617-489-4383
> New England Rail Shipper Directories
> 19 Holden Road, Belmont, MA 02478

Back to top Reply to sender | Reply to group | Reply via
web post
Messages in this topic (3)
1b.
Re: ORER discrepancy
Posted by: "George W Simmons" GEORGESIMMONS@... realmopacman
Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:48 pm (PDT)

--- In STMFC@..., George Hollwedel <proto.nscale@...> wrote:

> Is "uo" US? Is "cay" car?

I would say "uo" was to be "up" as in above the actual number and not
the railroad. And car makes sense in the sentence.

George Simmons
Dry Prong, LA

Back to top Reply to sender | Reply to group | Reply via
web post
Messages in this topic (3)
2.1.
Re: Per Diem
Posted by: "mcindoefalls" mcindoefalls@... mcindoefalls
Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:06 pm (PDT)

I think Steve's point was that the (bankrupt) O&W owed much, much more
in per diem payments than it could ever hope to receive from its
connections, given the paltry number of O&W cars that could go
off-line. I would venture to say that most of those O&W cars were
hoppers, which would likely stay on line or close to home. And so, the
O&W would have been shoveling per diem money out, while receiving next
to nothing in per diem receipts.

Walt Lankenau

--- In STMFC@..., timboconnor@... wrote:

> Steve
>
> Per diem in the 1950's was the same for all box cars, and was quite
> low -- IIRC less than $3 a day. Unless the NYSW was a parking lot for
> offline cars, I doubt they suffered from per diem overhead. After
all, if
> they could move a car across the system in 24 hours, they might avoid
> having to pay any per diem at all.
>
> Tim

> From: "Steve Lucas" <stevelucas3@...>
> > The Jan., 1953 ORER shows the NYO&W as having 146 cars suitable for
> > interchange. For an over 400-mile Class One pike, this road must
> > have had substantial per diem costs. No wonder that they went under
> > in 1957.
> >
> > Steve Lucas.

Back to top Reply to sender | Reply to group | Reply via
web post
Messages in this topic (33)
2.2.
Re: Per Diem
Posted by: "George W Simmons" GEORGESIMMONS@... realmopacman
Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:49 pm (PDT)

--- In STMFC@..., "mcindoefalls" <mcindoefalls@...> wrote:

> I think Steve's point was that the (bankrupt) O&W owed much, much
more
> in per diem payments than it could ever hope to receive from its
> connections, given the paltry number of O&W cars that could go
> off-line. I would venture to say that most of those O&W cars were
> hoppers, which would likely stay on line or close to home.

I checked the 1953 ORER reprint and the Old Woman owned a total of 13
boxcars each with interior length of 36 feet. Also, I wonder about the
speed of trains accross the Old and Weary, would they be able to move
cars at a speed that would preclude per diem payments.

George Simmons
Dry Prong, LA

Back to top Reply to sender | Reply to group | Reply via
web post
Messages in this topic (33)
2.3.
Re: Per Diem
Posted by: "Steve Lucas" stevelucas3@... stevelucas3
Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:25 pm (PDT)

The O&W did have some longhaul freights that ran between
Scranton, PA and Maybrook, NY in less than 16 hours. But any car
terminating on the O&W would have been on the property more than
24'. And I don't recall the O&W originating a lot of tonnage in its
20 years of bankruptcy from 1937-57. They did move some pig iron
south out of Oswego, NY, but it's been suggested that this traffic
did not produce much revenue after per-diem (foreign roads' cars
being used) and terminal expenses.

Other roads might have been able to balance the per diem payments on
foreign cars agianst money owed for their cars, but not the Old
Woman. The O&W did have many strikes aginst it in the later years,
and the per-diem expenses can't have helped its financial position.

Steve Lucas.

(always looking to learn more about the O&W)

In STMFC@..., "George W Simmons" <GEORGESIMMONS@...>
wrote:

> --- In STMFC@..., "mcindoefalls" <mcindoefalls@> wrote:
> >
> > I think Steve's point was that the (bankrupt) O&W owed much, much
more
> > in per diem payments than it could ever hope to receive from its
> > connections, given the paltry number of O&W cars that could go
> > off-line. I would venture to say that most of those O&W cars were
> > hoppers, which would likely stay on line or close to home.
>
> I checked the 1953 ORER reprint and the Old Woman owned a total of
13
> boxcars each with interior length of 36 feet. Also, I wonder about
the
> speed of trains accross the Old and Weary, would they be able to
move
> cars at a speed that would preclude per diem payments.
>
> George Simmons
> Dry Prong, LA

Back to top Reply to sender | Reply to group | Reply via
web post
Messages in this topic (33)
3.1.
Re: What HO truck(s) do we STMFC'ers want?
Posted by: "finkfam98055" finkfam2@... finkfam98055
Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:41 pm (PDT)

I have not seen anyone mentioned it yet, so I'll remind members that
Eastern Car Works offers 3 different types of 4-wheel, 70-ton HO
trucks. I've used and can recommend their #9064 Bettendorf as
representative of the type. Note that the Eastern Car Works trucks
need careful assembly (with glue) and do not come with wheels. Retail
list price is $3 for a pair. I believe #9064 is the same type as
pictured at the link to the ERIE 10325 gon photo in message 75505
(thanks John Hile).
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/frt/erie10325b.jpg

Larry Fink
--- In STMFC@..., "John Hile" <john66h@...> wrote:

> --- In STMFC@..., "Brian Leppert" <b.leppert@> wrote:
> >
> > I think any properly rendered 70-ton truck in HO will look
distinctly
> > different from 50-ton trucks, especially with that wider bolster,
> and are
> > certainly needed.

Back to top Reply to sender | Reply to group | Reply via
web post
Messages in this topic (27)
3.2.
Re: What HO truck(s) do we STMFC'ers want?
Posted by: "Brian J Carlson" brian@... prrk41361
Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:35 pm (PDT)

True, and I used some ECW Dalman's before Brian's came out. However,
the ECW
trucks are stryene and wear out with use. This can be fixed by delrin
axle
point caps. However, Tahoe trucks are better detailed, and one piece
acetal
plastic so if Brian does do a 70 ton truck, I have a ton of P2k gons
that
can use them.

Brian J Carlson P.E.
Cheektowaga NY

Back to top Reply to sender | Reply to group | Reply via
web post
Messages in this topic (27)
3.3.
Re: What HO truck(s) do we STMFC'ers want?
Posted by: "Brian Leppert" b.leppert@... brianleppert
Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:22 am (PDT)

Andy and Jason,

The Atlas truck is a very poor representation of the National C-1 70-
ton truck. If you have Tony's SP Freight Cars, vol.1, Gondolas and
Stock Cars, see page 218 for what the prototype really looks like.

Brian Leppert
Tahoe Model Works
Carson City, NV

--- In STMFC@..., "Andy Sperandeo" <asperandeo@...>
wrote:

> Brian, I think you're on to something with the 70-ton trucks. I
just built a Sunshine NYC
> gondola kit that needed 70-ton trucks with a 3-1-3 spring package.
I used a pair of Atlas
> trucks from a Hart convertible ballast car, adding semi-scale
wheels and Kadee brake shoes.
> However, Atlas doesn't list these as separate parts and they aren't
as nice as your trucks
> anyway.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Andy

Back to top Reply to sender | Reply to group | Reply via
web post
Messages in this topic (27)
RECENT ACTIVITY
1
New Photos
5
New Files
Visit Your Group
Y! Sports for TV
Access it for free
Get Fantasy Sports
stats on your TV.
Yahoo! News
Get it all here
Breaking news to
entertainment news
Share Photos
Put your favorite
photos and
more online.
Need to Reply?
Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the
Daily Digest.
Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database | Members | Calendar

Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Individual | Switch
format to Traditional