TRUCK WEAR - was What HO truck(s) do we STMFC'ers want?

William Keene <wakeene@...>

Hello Group,

From time to time I have seen comments from the Group regarding truck
wear from operation and I can understand that this is a concern. Worn
trucks could take the fun out of an operating evening.

My question is what amount of operating time/distance are we looking
at that will result in worn trucks?

Almost all of my layouts over my 50-years of running model trains have
been switching layouts. Mostly smaller in size with one exception. The
present layout (HO-scale and currently under construction) will result
in a maximum car movement distance during a typical operating day of
about 46-feet (actual) or a bit less than one scale mile. I do not
believe at this limited operation distance that truck wear would be
considered much of a problem.

I have also operated on larger home layouts and club layouts and do
not recall any steam era freight cars ever being sent to the RIP track
due to worn trucks.

So just how much "mileage" does it take to wear out a scale truck?

Cheers,
-- Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Aug 22, 2008, at 8:29 PM, Brian J Carlson wrote:

True, and I used some ECW Dalman's before Brian's came out. However,
the ECW
trucks are stryene and wear out with use. This can be fixed by
delrin axle
point caps. However, Tahoe trucks are better detailed, and one piece
acetal
plastic so if Brian does do a 70 ton truck, I have a ton of P2k gons
that
can use them.

Brian J Carlson P.E.
Cheektowaga NY