Re: PFE reefers

al_brown03

Without having seen the picture, I infer that the "black" cars were
extra-dirty, and the yellow(-orange) patches around the reporting
marks were where they'd been cleaned for legibility?

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

ed_mines wrote:
I thought prototype modelers wanted to accurately model cars (and
entire trains) as they appeared in service, not as built. Any
group of
cars might have a couple of freshly painted cars but most would
be
weathered to varying degrees including paint that shifted color.
Yes, and a yellowish cast is fine for well-weathered cars. But
part
of the sharp reaction by both Richard and me is that there have
been
model manufacturers, and individual modelers, who have painted PFE
cars
bright yellow, without weathering. That's wrong.

Publishers of books on railroad history