Re: Chain storage tubes on ATSF Fe-6,10,14,16,20

John Hile <john66h@...>

--- In STMFC@..., Joseph Jacques <bowie1793@...> wrote:

My question is how many tubes should there be and where would they
be spaced on a fifty foot car of this type? I have the SF Rolling
stock vol. 3 but the closest reference is of an Fe-5, a forty foot
car, on page 51.

Joe,

Auto rack equipped cars typically displayed (in addition to the
horizontal white stripe) a number and letter on the door. For
examples, see p. 67 & 78 of your SF Book for some Fe-20 examples,
showing "12 D" on the door. The "12" represents the number of floor
tubes, and the "D" is the type of rack.

If I find anything definite regarding placement of the tubes I will
post that as well.

Hope this is helpful,

John Hile
Blacksburg, VA