PFE Paint Reference, Was Re: PFE reefers

golden1014

Gentlemen,

While we're on the subject, can anyone suggest a good paint match so
I can properly finish the PFE wood reefer I have on the workbench?

Thank you,
John

John Golden
Bloomington, IN

--- In STMFC@..., "ed_mines" <ed_mines@...> wrote:

--- In STMFC@..., Anthony Thompson <thompson@> wrote:
Ed: they were not yellow. Period. The "Daylight Orange"
paint
did weather in the direction of yellow, but the cars were not
wearing
yellow paint. If you'd run your thumbnail over that "yellow"
color,
you
would have seen the deep orange underneath. I've done exactly
that
exercise with some preserved PFE cars.
And as Richard observed, the original colors are VERY
well
documented and have been published in the form of carefully
printed
color panels. What an elderly slide has to do with that somewhat
escapes me.
The original colors are well documented.

I thought prototype modelers wanted to accurately model cars (and
entire trains) as they appeared in service, not as built. Any
group of
cars might have a couple of freshly painted cars but most would be
weathered to varying degrees including paint that shifted color.

Ed