Re: colors for Great Northern . . .

Bruce Smith

On Tue, September 2, 2008 7:16 pm, Thomas Baker wrote:

This is an interesting thread: Somewhere I came across a discussion about
this matter. The authorities on the subject stated that the original
paint on the plywood boxcars was of course Omaha orange and NOT Pullman
green ends and roof BUT black. Surely, a GN researcher out there
somewhere has incontrovertible data to settle this.

Tom
Tom,

I don't believe that anyone in this thread ever said that they had green
ends and roof. The painting instructions in the Sunshine kit, as well as
the GN instructions clearly specify black ends, roof and underbody. What
was green was the sides of the ends, the "fascia" at the top of the car,
the side sill of the car and the hardware (grabs, side tack boards etc)

Regards
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL