Re: Very early intermodal cars - Clejan Spinecar available in N Scale

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Peter Ness wrote:
The production cars (18100-18299) were assembled by the New Haven . . . the cars were not well recieved and these same cars were sold (or leased? - need someone with SP data here) to the Southern Pacific.
Not exactly. The SP leased 50 of the cars for a few months, then bought 5 and returned the rest. I don't know why they chose to buy so few as 5. But photos and data are in my SP Freight Cars, Vol. 3, which includes flat cars.

Publishers of books on railroad history