Re: PRR X-31A Truck and Underframe Color Question

Lawrence Rast

Bruce,

What's your rationale for painting the trucks on "new cars that have
been built recently" FCC?

Thanks,
Lawrence Rast

On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 9:21 PM, Bruce Smith <@smithbf> wrote:
On Sun, September 7, 2008 5:57 pm, parkcitybranch wrote:
I am getting ready to have a PRR X-31 painted and need to know the
color of the underframe and the trucks. According to the Sunshine
Models documentation it states the trucks were black, but I have seen
some people's models that had the trucks painted the same color as the
car body. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jason Sanford
Jason,

Underframe - FCC
Trucks - as Elden says in TKM each time he paints a car
"From the "Instructions for Painting Freight
Equipment Cars", dated January 13, 1953,
reproduced from the Pennsylvania State Archives, we
see that: "Paint all metal parts with two coats of
"Wet-on-Wet" Freight Car Paint, Acct. 47, Ref.
2383." Except when the car was new and featured
re-conditioned trucks, the trucks were not painted."

So, my trucks are usually grime colored, but on new cars that have been
built recently, I do use FCC as a change of pace.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL