Re: PRR X-31A Truck and Underframe Color Question

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Tony;

I personally have zero PRR cars with painted trucks; probably none for any
other railroad, either.

Painted trucks on the PRR, at least in my timeframe, were something I don't
remember seeing, nor do I have photos showing them. The most recent photo I
have seen with painted trucks was dated 1954, but I cannot assert that I know
that to be a comprehensive answer; in modeling a big fleet, you could
conceivably justify a few in earlier timeframes, since you have photos to
justify it.

Roofs were a whole different story, and there are enough photos to make
anyone looking for a "standard", go nuts trying to prove things one way or
the other. The Painting Instructions are confusing, so probably added to the
variety of treatments one can see. For good reason, I try to use photos for
the vast majority of my freight cars.

Elden Gatwood